A. Bert Blackburn, MD
Board Certified – Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Undergraduate: Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 1974-1976 Lamar University, 1977-1979, Beaumont, TX 1978
- Medical: Texas Tech University School of Medicine, TTUSM Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX 1979-1983
- Residency: University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Obstetrics/Gynecology Residency Training Program, Hermann Hospital-Houston, TX 1983-1987; M.D. Anderson and Tumor Institute Houston, Brackenridge Hospital-Austin
About the Provider
Dr. Blackburn, a sixth generation Texan, has been in private practice in El Paso since 1987. He is married and has two sons. He has continually committed himself and his office philosophy to individualized, personal, and respectful care. Since coming to El Paso, he has delivered thousands of babies, many high risk, each with personalized care. Preferring to know all of his patients and maintain that personal touch, Dr. Blackburn is one of the few doctors who do not employ nurse practitioners are other “extenders”. This philosophy has given him great satisfaction in medicine and in turn is a unique benefit for the patient.
Dr. Blackburn offers a full range of gynecological care for women of all ages. This includes evaluation of abnormal menses, contraception, infertility, hormone replacement, obstetrical care and gynecological surgery. He was the first in El Paso to offer truly outpatient (come and go the same day) hysterectomies with no visible incisions. Along the way Dr. Blackburn has garnered many achievements and awards. Named Chief Resident by his peers in training in the Houston Medical Center was one of his most meaningful awards. He is board certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology with annual recertification. He has been named Best Doctors in America on an annual basis since 2004. He was named one of America’s Best Doctors for 2014 and the
Patient’s Choice award for 2010. He received awards as one of America’s Top Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 2007 and 2012. El Paso magazine named him as one of the top doctors in Ob/Gyn in El Paso.
Dr. Blackburn continues to be recognized as a leader among his peers currently serving as Chief of Ob/Gyn at Sierra Medical Center since 2008. He has had the privilege of being elected to the Sierra Providence Governing Board from 2012-2018. With all of these accomplishments he still enjoys patient care and interaction the most. He is often asked why he chose this specific specialty. He responds that “this is the only surgical and procedure oriented specialty where you get to develop a relationship with patients that lasts for years”.
- Low risk and high risk pregnancy
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Repair of pelvic prolapse
- Outpatient hysterectomy / no visible scar
- Obstetrical and gynecological ultrasound
- Management of abnormal menstrual bleeding
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Pap smears
- Management of abnormal pap smears
- Treatment of urinary incontinence
- Breast problems
- Genetic counselling
- Infertility Evaluation